Sunday, 11 March 2012

Surfers on the bore

I did a bit of research into tides and equinoctials and new moons and everything last night, and it all very quickly got complicated. Basically, my understanding is that the full moon creates the highest tides. The equinoctial tides are on the full/new moons nearest the equinoxes. This spring, its the new moon thats on the equinox, so it wont be so big as if it were the full moon. This year we have a full moon 2 weeks either side of the equinox, so they are going to be about the same in March and April.
The Dee bore is created by the difference between the low tide and the high tide... its not just a high tide, you need a very low tide before it, so the water has to rush to catch up with itself... and they are about middayish.

So....... I figured  that there would be a smaller bore today, as a piece of leftover energy from yesterdays tide, the waves are bigger near the mouth of the estuary than at the end , so I went further out to see if this would equal itself out.

There were loads of people there! On the footbridge over the estuary. All waiting for the wave... there were surfers!

 It was a really good spot, although the wave was smaller than it would have been yesterday, being on the straight channel meant I could see it coming from way off, and build the tension.





The surfers were knocked off their boards.



And the good thing about being on a footbridge meant that I could see the wave passing under me and watch the river being conquered from the seaward side as well. Again, the transition from river to sea was simply seconds.


Everyone went home at that point, I hadnt intended to stay long but I had the dogs with me, so i crossed the bridge and walked upstream on the welsh side through the fields, rather than on the cycleway on the english side. I realised that the field was actually part of the flood plain, there was a hight tide mark along it, and seaweeed was dotted here and there in the grass.I walked for a while and turned back, and went to stand by the edge of the rising sea-water. And again, i felt the energy of it, it was like being plugged in to a source of static electricity, and it was greater if i faced into chester, into the direction that the water was being pulled. Feeling full of nwyfre... feeling the energy from the full moon flowing and pulling through my body.

Energised, I headed home :-)